On My Mind...

January 14, 2014

20131229_142959

 I find myself in quiet thought a lot these days. There is so much on my mind.
Mostly it is my children. They are all in such great times of their lives.
One is in the winding up of High School...two beginning or continuing college life...
one returning from a mission...two preparing for a missions with one leaving
later this year and the second next year.
All good things.
 I wonder...ALOT...if I did enough for them, teaching them.
 Do they have the moral strength to make hard decisions,
 and will they do it when tough moments come.
 Have I lived my own life in such a way that they will know, for a certainty,
what I stand for and what I believe with all my heart. I think about the issues that we all face today, especially this very moment, the great attack that it taking place on the family.
 Did I teach those children of mine to stand for what is right but at the same time
 exercising great empathy and charity to those around them?
I so appreciate those who have the courage to publicly stand in defense of the Gospel and it's principles. I am grateful for those who do not take their questions or discontent into public forums, but have the wisdom to work it out privately with those who can help guide them through inspiration and prayer. I don't understand why a person would fight against something
 that is fundamentally not within their belief system.
Why fight?
Quietly walk away rather than fight on public forums. Simple.
I don't blog to become involved in debates and arguments about fundamental beliefs of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I gladly follow our prophet,
Thomas S. Monson, and the other leaders who have been called of God to lead His church.
 I blog to record the lives of our family. But I will "Stand True" to what I know to be truth,
 without passing judgment or criticism on those who choose to believe differently than I do.

 compass

Last week one of The Darlings was faced with a moral dilemma.
Without much help from the parents...this child took action to correct a pretty major
problem that they had been exposed to. It wasn't an easy process,
and truthfully it could have really created some significant repercussions.
But regardless that child was willing to stand for correct principles. During the process of this experience, a person who was also involved in trying to correct the situation,
commented to one of The Darlings, that they had an exceptional Moral Compass.
That they understood clearly between right and wrong.
That is a happy parenting moment for a Mother.
 I am grateful that the Moral Compass of this child led them through
a very hard situation,which, thankfully resolved well.
Do I believe that The Darlings will never make a mistake...
No, I do not.
Do I believe that they have never made mistakes...
Oh...I know better than that!
Typically parents don't need the opinions and analysis of everyone around them,
when it comes to their kids.  It is a rare case that the parents actually don't know
what is happening with their kids.  They know.
But what I do know for sure,and what saddens me, is that we are surrounded by people
who wait for mistakes to happen so they can gossip, criticize, and demoralize...
which can weaken when the next challenge comes along. And often does.
Have I too been guilty of this in my own life...yes I have.
But, the more I live, the more compassion I feel for those who have momentarily lost their way,
or who have made a mis-step. I see all too often the pain that is carried by those who
 make mistakes. And even more often I see the sadness that is carried by parents
who suffer when their children are suffering.
I don't want to add to their pain.
I guess you have to live a little and raise a few kids to learn that lesson.
Most often it seems to be people who haven't yet raised their children who are
the most critical.  Those who have "been there...and done that" are kind and gentle.
 I do wish our communities would exercise a bit more kindness,
 and alot less judgment when people are struggling.

 R-158

Last night The Farmer taught our Family Home Evening.
He taught The Rooster and I about Standing In Holy Places.
 He teaches us, very often, through the experiences he has. It was a great lesson.
 I hope that The Rooster will remember the words of The Farmer.
 The Farmer also taught him about how the power of the Priesthood is directly related to the worthiness of the Priesthood holder. The two messages went hand in hand,
 and made for a great night of spiritual learning in our home.
 I am grateful for that.

3 comments :

Bob & Marilee Neff said...

Beautiful post! Thank you..

Pedaling said...

very nice post.

I would love to know more of the details of the moral dilemma...cuz I'm nosy like that. ;)
not really, just interested.

RHrad said...

I'm not trying to instigate, or be rude, but would you take some time to explain what exactly the, "the great attack that it taking place on the family" is?

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |