Dog - O's

January 24, 2009

A tribute...to my brother....owner of "The Dog House." And also a taste of Mexico! Yes....I know.....This wouldn't fall into the catagory of "good for you" or something that you would eat weekly...BUT....it is worth it, if and when you choose to indulge;)
ENTER....
DOG - O
Enjoyed on most street corners in Mexico. When the sun goes down...the Dog-O stand shows up. It is a mobile cart with a grill and a load of mexican sodas. You can either sit at the plastic chairs and tables, that have also been set up on the street corner, or you can use the..
"SERVICIO AL BORDO"
which is Mexico's idea of drive through. A worker comes to your window...takes your order...and brings the order to you to take home. Given the level of violence in our area, we do not eat on street corners after dark, so here is our version of the Dog -O
001
Wrap hotdogs with thin slices of bacon...we only use Oscar Meyer all beef hot dogs (only because The Farmer is pretty picky with hot dogs). After the hot dogs are wrapped with the bacon, cook in a frying pan, on medium heat, until bacon is done and a little crispy. Remove the hotdogs from the pan and keep warm. Next, spread the bun with mayo.....

005
And cook in the same pan...in the bacon grease...until toasty and brown. I told you....not something you can eat at every meal!
007
Then....place the hotdog in the yummy bun and begin to add toppings....
008
avocado
diced onion
diced tomato
mustard
beans
corn
grated cheese
jalapeno
well....basically everything....

012
DIG IN!!!
*to my brother...."The Wennie Man"

14 comments :

BarbaraJo said...

That looks so good. I think I will make some for dinner.

The Craig Family said...

Oh man! I remember those good old hot dogs. I have always wondered how they made them. Thanks for show us how to do it. Now I got to go make them. I do have to tell you, my mouth was watering as I was read about it.
Thanks
Laurali M
Craig
I hope you don't mind me comenting. I found your blog a while back.

Elder Romney's mission said...

Those are my favorite! But its never the same when you make them at home! Especially without the homemade buns. Yummm

That Girl said...

I can't believe you can get real hot dogs. Brazilian hot dogs are bright orange - and turn the water orange when you cook 'em. Mmmm ....

They also put mayo on it - as well as mashed potatoes, corn, super-fried french fries and homemade salsa.

Amazingly ... I've gotten used to it ...

Pedaling said...

k-that looks so bad for you but so good.
i know that big daddy would love me even more if i made that for him!

Jan T. said...

Oh my goodness! :) What a meal! This will be great for Ceej during football season when he's trying to pack on some weight!:)

LaNae said...

That looks so good--too bad it's so late and I can't make them right now!--maybe later

Ashley said...

You are CRUEL! Oh man I am CRAVING a DOG-0... with a nice cold Mexican Coke!!! But at least now I know how to make my own! Thanks =)

Unknown said...

I've never thought of buttering and toasting a hotdog bun....it's so so SOuthern. and I bet it's tasty!

Me... said...

Man oh man, my mouth is watering! That was the only thing I didn't eat when I was home during Christmas. My dad wouldn't let us go up town after dark, so we really had to sacrifice! I really missed that street corner!

Toni Call said...

I was reading this post and Dan walked by and saw the pictures of the yumminess and he's insisting that we make them for dinner tonight now! They look soooo yummy and i didn't get to have one at christmas time so we are excited!

Unknown said...

I haven't had these amazing yummy dogs since we were in Guadalajara Christmas 1994. And of course.. smothered in crema.

Cedar said...

Hey Shelley, on this side of the border we don't put beans on our dog-o's but that's about it. When you find the time, I'll make you an American dog-o with a vienna beef 1/4 lb hot dog!!! Anyway, I hope all is well and hope you send your kids to stay with us for the summer! Love and miss all of you, Heath

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

OH MY HECK! LOOKS DIVINE! WISH I HAD ONE RIGHT NOW! Thanks for showing me this...I won't be able to get it off my mind now! LOL

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |