Dia De Los Muertos...

November 2, 2012

037
 
Today we celebrated Dia De Los Muertos. It is the equivalent to Memorial Day in the United Stated...but with a BIG bang! It is a very celebrated day in Mexico complete with Pan de Muerto! (which is pretty yummy if you ask me!) The skeletons or Calaveras..have been sitting on a bench in the entry of our home...for a good part of October...and they make me smile! They came from my favorite store in a nearby town;) After I purchased them...a nice young man helped me carry them to my car...and the next thing I knew...
 
photo (21)
 
seat belts were being carefully secured around the darling skeletons! The young man said that he wanted them to travel safely...and without damage!
 
photo (22)
 
It made for some good laughs at the Border! Good thing the Border Agents had a bit of a sense of humor that day;) The Calaveras have been a great addition to our Halloween decorations...and great conversation pieces!
DSCN8320
 
The local flower shops were well prepared with both fresh and artificial arrangements, ready to be delivered to the cemetery.
 
DSCN8326 DSCN8327 DSCN8328
 
I go to the same little flower shop each year! I love it!
019
 
A few members of the family gathered at the cemetery to pay our respects. Really it ends up being a time of memories and laughs. It is a place I have come to love...
025 029
 
I am always amazed how people care for the graves of their loved ones. Many other families were also at the cemetery when we were there. Some were cleaning...others were decorating the grave sites of their family members. Others were lighting candles...and well after the sun had gone down...families were still making sure their family members who had passed on...
were remembered and respected.
photo (23)

*A sad side note...a great member of our communities passed away this week. Meredith Romney had been a leader within the communities and a respected businessman. His family paid a beautiful tribute to him today through a very special funeral service.

No comments :

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |