Fried Green Tomatos

June 4, 2008

My Grandfather grew up in the hills of Kentucky and brought into our family flavors of his youth. So, as a child I remember that he loved fried chicken (mostly KFC) with all the trimmings. He also enjoyed Fried Green Tomatoes which were cooked quite often in my home as I was growing up. I in turn, have introduced them to the Farmer and the kids and they also love them. It is a long process to get a red tomato from our garden....we pick the green ones almost as fast as they appear. This is what I found in the garden this morning (above). Fried Green Tomatoes are very simple to make and very yummy to eat. First, select firm green tomatoes and wash and trim them.
Next, chop (chunky) the green tomatoes and place into a bowl.
Dust with flour, enough that each piece of green tomato is coated. Note: I have tried many other methods, dipping in egg or cornmeal or a combination of all of the above. For me and my family we just love plain and simple. A light coating of flour is perfection for us.
Place the green tomatoes in a large frying pan with 2T. of melted butter and cook until the flour coating becomes brown and your mouth begins to water!
Perfection on a plate! Fried Green Tomatoes. We love them served with a little ketchup. The flavor is a little tart, a little sweet and very delicious! Enjoy!

6 comments :

Harmoni Osborn said...

Those actually look really delicious!! We'll have to try them!!

I noticed that you have several "cupcake" links on your blog. I am trying to decide on a cupcake cake/theme for the twins' first birthday party on Friday. Any great ideas?? :p)

Pedaling said...

can you come cook for us sometime?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I love this post. I love all the step-by-step pictures you took! I love fried green tomatoes, too. I'm going to look in my garden right now to see if there are any. I had forgotten about that recipe, so you are an inspiration!

Spin said...

ok im back and YUM! I may give that a try if it ever gets warm enough to even plant our tomatoes. and i have grown to love artichokes - it almost midnight and now im getting hungry

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I loved this post so much that I put a link to it from my blog. I hope that's okay?

http://jenwhetten.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-new-blogging-friend-farmers-wife.html

Rae said...

I've never eaten fried green tomatoes before but I think I'm going to give it a try. You've inspired me to give it a go.

I saw that you're reading Barbara Kingsolver's, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". I read it last year and LOVED it. I learned so much.

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |