Welcome To Mexico! - Part 1

June 6, 2008

I thought it would be fun to actually document what we go through each time we return to our home in Mexico after being on a trip in the U.S. It has become normal to us, but my guess it that it would be very unusual for someone who has never been here. So I have done a little photo documentary of "A Trip Into Mexico" It will require a couple of posts, which I will spread out so you can really digest all the fun!

First, upon having a successful shopping trip to El Paso...I drive for an hour and see this sign. I know I am getting close....


From a distance I can see this (on left) and I know that with a little luck the border agents (Aduana, in Spanish) will be in a great mood and they won't question the purchases I just made in El Paso. hahahahaha, I am laughing because that has rarely happened, but I continue to hope! Each person living in Mexico is allowed $50 dollars of merchandise into the country, without tax, and if your are over that amount you are then charged 15% of the value of your purchases. Side note....Is it possible to go to El Paso for $50 dollars???? As you pass through the border, you will pass over a sensor that will give you either a red light or a green light. Green means you can pass and red...well....you will be subject to a thorough check of the vehicle. They will be looking for items that you may have purchased, that exceeded the $50 dollar allowance. Atleast this is what I have heard...not that I am speaking from experience (hehehehe) Again the mood of the border agent, the day of the week, the hour of the day and what they had for lunch....all have a bearing upon this moment.

This is boundary marker that I pass frequently.

(I should have taken a picture of the 15ft. high fence...that is on the border. That is a very visual sign of where you are entering)


"Welcome to Mexico!" again right on the border. You are now in the country! Horray, you've made it! Most people only make it this far. They come for cheap medication and other medical services that are less expensive in Mexico.

Border towns are not my favorite...they have given the beautiful parts of Mexico a bad name. So remember...to have a true Mexico experience you must close your eyes while traveling through a border town, and open them 20 miles out! Border towns most often are dirty and full of interesting people.


The national drink of Mexico! (that is for the non-alcohol drinkers, there are other national drinks as well) You will see alot of this anywhere you go in the country! In fact I sometimes wonder if the country has water to drink!

Stay tuned for Part 2

5 comments :

Bobbi said...

You make it look almost glamorous! I cant' wait for the next part. Fun!

Rae said...

I am so glad you are doing this series! I have never been to Mexico though DK has oodles of times when he worked for GE. I've always been apprehensive about going but I can honestly say that since I found your blog my mindset has started to change. Can't wait for the next installment!

P.S. Do you speak fluent Spanish? If so, did you before moving to Mexico? How many years have you lived there?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Bobbi's comment was funny! Yeah, I think this an awesome post. It does become routine for us, but certainly can be considered fodder for all the stateside dwellers! You know what is cool for me? That I have nine kids, so when we come across with all of them, we are able to bring back $550 worth of goods duty free! Viva Mexico!

Mama J said...

This is great. What has become common for us is really a novelty for others. You make it sound easy which it is, if you know what to expect. Interesting note, as of November 2007 the limit went from $50 per person to $75. So, you can get a bit more!

Spin said...

i will enjoy reading this as i have always wanted to drive into Mexico going far enough to the nice areas. hoping you show us how its done

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |