A Trip Into Mexico - Part II

June 6, 2008






Okay, you are now in Mexico and have left the border town. You will then drive another 40-45 miles and come to another little town. This town is somewhat famous for its' Gorditas. We often stop for a green chile, cheese and potato gordita. Which in my opinion are best in the winter, when the cheese isn't too strong. Just my opinion...but they are yummy! A gordita is a thick bread like tortilla that is split open and stuffed with different fillings. A few miles outside of this town you will see this sign (above) and will enter a military check point. I actually tried to get the soldiers to let me take their picture for this post...but...well they didn't think it was as great of an idea as I did. Anyway, the small picture above is just what they look like. Young and holding machine guns. Viva Mexico!! Depending upon the day they will check your car for drugs, guns and ammunition, which you shouldn't have with you anyway. But if you do....you may have some problems. Side note: it is illegal to enter Mexico with guns or ammunition. You should leave that to the "professionals." (I am sure you know what I mean)


Along the journey to our city, you will encounter many of these. Little houses built for the saint of travel. "San Judeas de Tadeo" Often you will see people taking a moment from their "viaje" or trip to pay their respects and ask for a blessing on their travels. The Farmer told me that sometimes people will leave money to help another on their way. I thought that was really nice. This was a very well kept little house of worship. Some are large and some are very small but you will see many.



This is what the little house looks like inside. A statue of the Saint and several candles which were lit.


Back on the road again... The journey is a little remote. Lots of beautiful open land. This is where your satellite radio will come in handy!



Part 3 coming up next...

5 comments :

Rae said...

Love satellite radio, even in the city!

When I lived in Italy there were many, many little buildings at the edge of the road with the Holy Mother inside. You would find cut fresh flowers along with candles. It was always beautiful and serene.

I am lovin' this series! Come on part 3!!!!

BarbaraJo said...

Viva Mexico. I need to have my mom read your blog...it might change her mind about this country.

Toni Call said...

I love this blog! I bet people who haven't been to Mexico will think twice about coming now... ha ha! I haven't had a gordita in forever, and now i am craving one!

Pedaling said...

seriously, those soldier boys wouldn't let you take a picture?
not even for your BLOG?

Me... said...

Ahhhhh... you made me homesick! I quite enjoyed your travel log. Even though I've crossed the border a 1000 times before, reading your blog felt as though I was meeting with the aduana and highly-trained soldiers for the first time!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |