Another Summer Favorite

August 12, 2008

Little Rooster, Preshie and I spent the morning in the garden. I love the garden, it is not as weed free as it should be, but I love it! I have hoped that The Darlings would learn to love it too. My Dad always kept a beautiful garden while I was growing up and we learned to work in the garden and eat from the garden as well. The Darlings are great on the eating part...but still learning to love the working part. We cleaned out a section of the garden to prepare for our Fall garden that needs to be planted. And we picked alot of squash, okra and tomatoes. YUM!! We really love okra at out house. Again something I learned to love, growing up. Most people don't enjoy okra, usually it is in gumbo or prepared in a way that it is slimy. It is a very under appreciated vegetable if you ask me....and if prepared right...a complete joy to eat! Above is what okra looks like, freshly picked from the garden. The Darlings don't like to pick it, because it leaves you itchy, but it is worth the itch!
Here is the okra sliced and ready to cook. I dust it lightly with flour and place it into a pan with 1 T. of butter and 3-4 T. of oilve oil. Cook, stirring often until browned.
Here is the finished product! Yummy! It is crisp and wonderful. Along with garden fresh tomatoes you have a great lunch that is good for you.

7 comments :

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Another great garden post! I think it's awesome that your kids are working in the garden. It sounds like they like it as much as mine do!

Rae said...

I confess, I'm not sure if I have ever eaten okra. Maybe I'll swing by and have some for lunch! :)

What are you planting in your fall garden?

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Manna from the Gods! I LOVE IT. I wish to goodness we were neighbors! I would SO help in the garden and of course help EAT IT! YUMMY!

Prudy said...

That looks delicious. I notice from your post that you are LDS. Me too! There are so many LDS bloggers out there. So fun to meet!

BarbaraJo said...

I admit I had NEVER heard of okra until I move to Mexico. I need to get out more.

BAS said...

I really do not want to appear ungrateful to the Creator, but there really are some things you have question; such as scorpions, roaches and okra. :)

Jarmeg Family said...

Fried okra, my grandma used to make that for us, love it!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |