Wheat Day

August 4, 2008

It was "wheat day" at out house today. Uncle Dan grew wheat this year and was kind enough to supply us. The Boy, Little Rooster and I filled buckets and prepared them for storage. It always feels good to add to the food storage. When that was completed...I ground some of the same wheat and made the most yummy 14 Grain Bread.

A few years ago some friends of ours decided that they would live on their food storage for 1 week, mostly to see what items they were missing and what items would make life a little more enjoyable if they actually had to live on it. The father of the family said that he learned...and I quote..."whole wheat bread sure tastes alot better with jam." I have never forgotten that and so I always keep jam on hand now;) Fresh bread with homemade jam...Ahhhhhhhhhh...it really doesn't get much better than that!
14 Grain Bread
6 c. warm water
2 T. salt
2/3 c. canola oil
2/3 c. honey
3 T. dough enhancer
3/4 c. vital wheat
3 T. yeast
6-8 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. 14 grain mix (from Bosch store)
Mix ingredients in order listed, in Bosch machine. Add flour until dough starts to pull away from sides of mixing bowl. Knead in mixer for 8-10 minutes. Turn dough out onto oiled counter top and oil hands before handling the dough. Divide dough into loaf pans and let rise until double, 30-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake for 30-35 minutes. It yields 4-5 large loaves of bread.
(Recipe courtesy of Shar's Bosch Store - Mesa)

7 comments :

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I am SO GLAD you posted this recipe! Do you get the grain at the Bosch store online? Can you get it at Sun Harvest?

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Wow, looks divine! Not a fan of wheat bread but that sure looks yummy!

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

looks yummy! i love the picture of the buckets of wheat! i've got to get me some of those. now i just wish there was a pic of how cute you looked in your pedal pusher jeans, white tee and red converse. with an apron! you're so fabulously domestic!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Jen...You can get the mix through that store in Mesa online...and I have never checked Sun Harvest...I do have a recipe for a mixture of grains that would be great too. Let me know if you want it and I will send it to you!

Jan T. said...

I can just smell it from here!:) MMMM! One question though....what is dough enhancer? Please fill me in!

Pedaling said...

you are the little red hen....who will help me gring the wheat?
...who will help me eat the bread?
I'm the cat......I will, I will!

Rae said...

It looks divine. And guess what? One of my goals is to start making bread! I'm going to check into the mix and see what I can find around here. It just looks so yummy and healthy!!

I too would love to see a pic of you in that outfit!! Sounds perfect!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |