Amazing Chunky Applesauce

September 25, 2008

I haven't made applesauce for a very long time. I guess mostly because The Darlings didn't really eat it too well. I have learned through the years, the things that they will eat and and the things that they will not. So I have really tried to put my effort into things that will get used. So I tried a new recipe for applesauce, a chunky applesauce, in hopes that The Darlings will love it. And they did! This really is an amazingly yummy chunky applesauce. So 50 quarts later.....

A new use for applesauce! Carmel Apple Pie Sunday. A little ice cream, with a little applesauce, then a little carmel topping and sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice. Wow! was that ever good!!
Amazing Chunky Applesauce
3-4 pounds of apples, peeled, cored and quartered
(I love Golden Delecious apples for this)
4 strips of lemon peel
juice of 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 c. water
1/2 t. salt
Place all ingredients in a large (heavy) pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with a potato masher until desired consistency. Pour into clean jars, add lids and rings then process for 25 minutes in water bath.

5 comments :

Cedar said...

Wow, my mouth is watering just looking at the picture!! You are so talented!! Ice cream is one of my FAVORITE things, especially with apple pie. YUM!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

OH THIS LOOKS WONDERFUL! Yummy!

Jan T. said...

MMmMmm! Now that's something I think I can handle bottling. Thanks for the recipe. As for the WITCH letters.....yes, you can order...but, they are BACKORDERED til' October 3rd. I've been inundated with requests!:) So, maybe you'll want to get one for next year...or, you send me some applesauce or chili & I'll send you as many WITCH sets as you want!:)

Kara& Bert said...

I just finished Plain Old apple sause and that still looks so good next week I will bottle some yummy! Hey bert is doing the Tucson Marathon is that the one your thinking of? PS I was up to running 45 minutes before I hurt myself but am readdy to start up again... good for you! Your awesome!

susan said...

hi i was wondering if you ever got your apron from me? thanks, it was mailed sept 6

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |