Perfection

September 26, 2008

Every Sunday morning, I have the great pleasure of sitting behind some of these amazing flowers. Let me explain. Through the years our community has been blessed with some talented women who not only grow some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen, but they also can make them into arrangements that look as if they could cost hundreds of dollars. I lead the music for Sacrament Meeting and these beautiful arrangements sit right in front of me, where I can admire each individual flower and its beauty. An extra blessing to me, in this calling;) I love flowers! No, really....I LOVE FLOWERS! I have a quote on my bedroon wall that says "I must have flowers, always, always." by Monet. One year a man came to our home to check on a sick dog, he stood and looked around and then asked "do you grow these flowers to sell?" I quickly said "No, I couldn't part with one of them" he then said "Wow" I am sure that was because of the amount of flowers he saw. So you see, I really do love flowers, they simply make me happy! Okay....back to the beautiful Sunday arrangements....The most recent flowers that have been featured on Sunday's are Dahlias. Incredible Dahlias. I think I have a new obsession. I have been so facinated with these flowers, that I decided to photograph them, and actually at the same time be educated in the growing of the Dahlia.
Sis. Thelma is a legend in these parts. She had many sons, and no daughters. She is the most practical woman I know. She has been known to say "you are pregnant for 9 months, that is 9 months to prepare and freeze food for your family." She has not been one to depend on anyone to take care of her. She is now in her 80's, with snow white hair, always placed neatly in a small bun on the back of her head. She is beautiful! She is famous for her incredible school lunches that she carefully and lovingly prepared for her boys. When The Farmer talks remembers her lunches he does so with the most longing look in his eyes. He has tasted them...remember he would "borrowed" a lunch on occasion;)....he talks about the fluffy white bread loaded with Sunday roast beef, topped with fresh tomato and lettuce. Then usually a slice of pie or another sweet treat would be present too. Homemkaing at its best!
Her yard is fantastically manicured. Did I mention that she is a widow? She and her ever trusty yard man keep this very large yard, very well cared for. A weed wouldn't dare show it's face.... fruit trees, nut trees and many, many beautiful flowers.
These are the dazzling Dahlia's that I mentioned. Aren't they perfection??? Now can you see why I actually enjoy leading the music?? I get to sit by "them" and admire and wish and dream that I too could one day grow them. She actually grows certain colors so that they will coordinate for the arrangements, how's that for planning!
There are just some people who teach us all to be a little better. That we can do a little more. I am grateful for her example of work, even into her 80's you will not find her sitting around doing nothing. Thank you Sis. Thelma....for teaching me so many wonderful things, expecially thank you for the incredible arrangements that accompany me each Sunday morning,
they bring me so much joy~


6 comments :

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

How BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE THEM ALL! SO pretty..and lucky you is right! So blessed that she shares her talent with all to see...and how lucky she is to have you to recognize the talents of others.

Me... said...

I love and admire her too. I'm like you when it comes to flowers..... loves, loves, loves them! (And I plant a lot of them too, even though my hubby thinks they're a pain to water!!!)

Jan T. said...

I never knew you were such a flower enthusiast...But, now that I think back, your yard always had the best flowers and pots in it. I definitely knew you had a green thumb.

Spin said...

i always notice the flowers and wonder how in the world they come up with something so beautiful every single sunday. planning ahead? If only I had that skill

Suzie said...

I enjoyed this post so very much.
There is so much to learn from that generation.
Makes me miss my Grandma!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |