What's In Your Lunchbox?

September 11, 2008

This has really been on my mind lately. I guess because I pack two lifeless lunches each morning for 2 of The Darlings who spend their lives on a school bus, at school or some type of sports practice. They leave at 7:10 am and don't get home until late in the evening. So I worry, probably too much, about them having enough to eat. It is the creativity in their lunches that is lacking. I need some new ideas! We started in gradeschool with themed lunch boxes...I think PreShie had all of the Barbie lunch boxes. For her they were an accessory to her outfits;). The boys on the other hand wanted whatever was cool at the moment..like The Incredible Hulk, Spiderman..or whatever. Those were the good old days!
I thought that this lunch bag was darling! It can keep food warm or cool for quite awhile. The Darlings aren't looking for a "cute" lunch bag at this time of their lives. Practical and disposable would be their two biggest requirements.
So we ended up with this. Pretty boring isn't it? And then the bigger question. Exactly what do you pack day after day that is both exciting and nutritious?? Seriously?! I have heard stories actually legends, about Moms in our community who "back in the day" (that would be back in The Farmer's day) spent full days baking and preparing for the school lunches of their children. These very lunches were often coveted or sometimes "borrowed" by The Farmer and his friends. School lunches are quite a topic around here. So imagine the pressure I felt when my children began taking their lunches to school.....pressure I tell you!!! So once again I am trying to plan lunches so that The Darlings will be fed both physically and emotionally as they spend their days away from home. I came accross this site that you must check out, if I didn't think I was the looser lunch Mom before...I sure do now!!! This Mom is amazing, the lunches are very special. I would love to hear your suggestions for creative lunches, I Need Help! I am sure there are some great ideas out there!
p.s. This is my Dad's lunch box from his childhood, with his initals so sweetly painted on the top.
Isn't it darling??!!

7 comments :

Kim Skinner said...

I couldn't access the link to that website. What is it?

Cambria said...

That lunch box is the cutest thing ever. Ideas...that is a toughy. Banana Bread would stay good all day. That sounds good right now. Trail mix. Almonds and craisins.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Hey Kim...the link is fixed...sorry!

Mary Ann said...

I do a lunchbox post every wednesday to keep me trying healthly alternatives to the same old sandwich and chips. We have had a lot of success so far with trying new things and liking them! This week we did Chicken Burgers, some really great mini-muffins and a pizza sandwich. You should come and check it out!

Jarmeg Family said...

Hey- i just saw a good rachel ray segment on that, there are lots of ideas on her website- rachaelray.com/
Click on kids and it has some good stuff. Good luck!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

This is all too cool! Thanks for sharing it all!

mslil65 said...

Thanks so much for your kind words! (You are NOT a loser lunch lady! LOL!) The thing that makes my lunches easy to pack...tiny containers...I can use up all kinds of leftovers and little tidbits of food!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |