Relish...

July 23, 2008

This is one happy Little Rooster....read on to see why
Today was SWEET RELISH day! I have been planning this for some time...we had run out. Little Rooster can hardly live with his SWEET RELISH. He smothers what ever he may be eating at the moment, in SWEET RELISH. It made the Mom feel so tender that the little man loved her relish so, until she realized that the key word in all of this is SWEET! The boy is a sugar addict! Anyway he was pleased to see the relish being made today.
48 pints later...we have our supply. Some friends from Albuquerque stopped by this afternoon just to say hi. Nina quickly said "I had no idea that people still bottled food, that is something I saw my Mother do in Serbia when I was a little girl." Was that a compliment??? I am not sure. It was a fun and rewarding day at our house. SWEET RELISH now lines the shelves of our pantry, and boy does it look pretty! Little Rooster can sleep well tonight!

Little Roosters Favorite Sweet Relish

24 large cucumbers - unpeeled

8 large onions

8 large bell peppers - green

1 large bell pepper - red
*grind all above ingredients and drain juice. I have an attachment to my Kitchen Aid that is a food grinder, it works great. After juice is drained put into a large stock pot then add:

1 T. tumeric

8 T. salt

4 t. mustard seed

8 t. celery seed

1 t. ground cloves

10 c. sugar

1 1/2 qts. apple cider vinegar

*Boil all ingredients for 20 minutes. Hot pack in sterile jars. Process in a steamer for 10 minutes.


7 comments :

amy said...

Like Rooster-I also love relish, especially sweet. It looks delicious! Update--I still have not made bread let alone pitas. Two week countdown to school, then I hope I can find the time.

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

mmmmm. i love sweet relish. love. i, like roostie, have a sweets problem. i always knew we had a special bond. ya, i'm not sure if it was a lefthanded compliment or not but--- she's probably just jealous. (just like SK's poll- canning brings the fear into people.) bring on the bottling right, let the season begin! ya!

Cambria said...

oh the FEELING of getting all the produce, preparing it, putting it in the bottles, processing it, seeing it lined up beatifully on the pantry shelves. Good good feeling. We have got cuc's coming out of our ears, I should do some.

Cedar said...

My mouth is watering!!! You truly amaze me with all your talents, I hope to be like you when I grow up :). I am so sorry to hear about Ivory. We lost our very favorite dog. To this day Cheyenne still can't say her name without getting sad.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

As I was shamefully admitting to Cambria, I don't know how to can. I need help! But, I figured this wasn't the summer to try it, what with the twins. Will it be any different next year when they are 18 months old? I hope so! Also, thank you so, so, so much for making me an apron! I can't believe you did that! You didn't have to. But since you did, when can I come get it? Just kidding. I was just so surprised and flattered! Thank you, FW! YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON IN THE WORLD, EVER!

Marshall and Ellen said...

Hi Shelley... I found your blog on several sites...fun to see what is happening with you. Your sweet relish looks and sounds great... I will try it with my over-abundance of cucumbers!! I love, love new recipes!

Jan T. said...

I relish Relish!:) Thanks for the recipe! I need the recipe for a cute kid like Roostie, too!:)

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |